From: osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org
[mailto:osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org] On Behalf Of Glenn
Waldron
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2010 3:22 PM
To: osg-users@lists.openscenegraph.org
Subject: Re: [osg-users] [vpb] VPB vs osgEarth...

Shayne,

Whether you get a palpable performance hit depends on a lot of factors. One
of osgEarth's features is the ability to pull data from web mapping services
(similar to Googe Maps). That type of data is pre-tiled into raster pyramids
- which is what VPB does too. So if your source data is similarly prepared,
you can achieve loading speeds comparable to a pre-generated terrain model.
osgEarth includes tools for that.

osgEarth's caching stores multi-resolution pyramids of source data, so if
you have to ingest "expensive" data it will only be a performance hit the
first time through. If you're loading flat files - GeoTIFFs, DEMs, etc -
then there is some processing overhead in pulling in the data, especially if
it needs reprojecting. But otherwise, you might be surprised at how fast is
actually is.

It is worth mentioning that osgEarth is not just a terrain engine, but a
whole toolkit. It includes an API for coordinate conversion, support for
vector features, utilities for clamping, a programmable manipulator, plugins
for lots of web- and file-based data sources, and shader composition
support.

Glenn Waldron : Pelican Mapping

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Shayne Tueller <shayne.tuel...@hill.af.mil>