Things work if I call setVertexArray. I mean that I have to call
setVertexArray, in addition to setVertexAttribArray, even though my shader is
solely based on vertex attribute data and doesn't use GL2-style dedicated
vertex coordinates data.

Code:
// This line should not be needed but seems required
geom.setVertexArray(vertices);

geom.setVertexAttribArray(verticesLoc, vertices);

Is this expected? If I compile and use OSG with GL3 core profile support, will
this still be required (again, it shouldn't)?

On the GL trace side I don't see anything wrong when I don't call
setVertexArray:

glVertexAttribPointer(...);
glDrawElements(...);

When I also specify a vertex array the glVertexPointer call obviously seems
superfluous:

glVertexPointer(...); // pointless
glVertexAttribPointer(...); // ok
glDrawElements(...);

Other custom vertex attributes that I tried to use to pass through color data
behave fine. Vertex coordinates seem to be treated specially in OSG.

Cheers,
Fred