I would try multipass rendering first. It is likely to be the slowest, but
also probably the easiest to implement and you don't have to worry about
exceeding your hardware limits. This falls into the category of "just get
it working" and then worry about optimizing it later if necessary. Who
knows -- maybe the performance will be acceptable.

Glenn Waldron / @glennwaldron