Here is a minimal program that demonstrates the issue.

OSG 3.2: the mouse scroll wheel works in the inset view; all other mouse
events "pass through" to the underlying view.

OSG 3.1.4: works as expected.

#include <osgViewer/CompositeViewer>
#include <osgDB/ReadFile>

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
    osg::ArgumentParser arguments(&argc,argv);

    osg::Node* node = osgDB::readNodeFiles(arguments);
    if ( !node ) return -1;

    osgViewer::CompositeViewer cv( arguments );

    osgViewer::View* mainview = new osgViewer::View();
    mainview->setUpViewInWindow( 100, 100, 1600, 1024 );
    mainview->setSceneData( node );
    cv.addView( mainview );

    osg::GraphicsContext* gc = mainview->getCamera()->getGraphicsContext();
    osg::Camera* camera = new osg::Camera();
    camera->setGraphicsContext( gc );
    camera->setViewport( 20, 20, 700, 500 );
    camera->setProjectionMatrixAsPerspective( 45.0, 7.0/5.0, 1.0, 1e6 );

    osgViewer::View* insetview = new osgViewer::View();
    insetview->setCamera( camera );
    insetview->setSceneData( node );
    cv.addView( insetview );

    cv.run();