Hey, in case anyone was interested. This was definitely the problem.  For a
beginner like me it was very unclear that 3ds files or other files did not
import any of the rigging or bone heirarchy.  Especially considering there was
a still an empty tree of matrixtransforms with the same names as what the bones
should have been.

Now with a succesful installation of the FBX program I have working hand models
that can be affected the way robertosfield () mentioned.   Thanks again for the
tips!

I now have a traverse class that goes through the hand model on load up and
sets callbacks to the appropriate bones.

/Cheers!