HI Valerian,

The osg::OccluderNode is not appropriate for what you are trying to
achieve, it only works when you have convex planar occluder geometries
that you can use to do the culling.  It's useful for town or building
scenes where walls can form large occluders relative to screen space.
A terrain height field doesn't exhibit any proporties that fit with
being a convex planar occluder so it not useful in your case.

Using OpenGL occlusion query feature via the osg::OcclusionQueryNode
is more likely be to be helpful as it can handle a straight meshes
rather than contrained geometric primitives like osg::OccluderNode.
Have a look at the osgocclusionquery example to see how to set it up.

As a general point, do you really need to cull things behind the
terrain?  If you are getting a solid 60Hz you don't need to complicate
your scene graph with techniques like occlusion query.

Robert.