Note also if one installs termux, a very good Linux terminal emulator, one can write wget or curl based Bash scripts for direct download to the final Android placement, optionally skipping downloads if no update is available, or if local files are not older than chosen threshold.

Note that it is by default sandboxed, must be explicitly configured to have access to Android storage.

I use it for BRouter RD5 file updates and Mapsforge compatible maps for LocusMap.(OpenAndroMaps globally, or osm.paws.cz for middle Europe.), using iteration overthe script arguments, where each argument is a code for particular downloadm defined withing tge script.

E.g. argument 0 means an update of my Brouter "homegrid" 5x5deg RD5 file to be downloaded to

~/storage/shared/Brouter/segments4