Apologies - it was stupid of me to question the setup of the mailing list
when we were discussing something else. I diluted my own question!

If
heuristic = bee-line_distance * hc
and the cost function is only distance, then hc can be larger than 1.0 to
the extent that it reflects the extra distance of an optimal route to the
goal compared to the bee-line, and the optimal route will be found.

But what makes OsmAnd's routing so good is that its cost function reflects
map features that slow you down, like traffic signals and turns. So hc can
be even higher before much risk of not finding the optimal route. On long
car journeys on the motorway/autobahn/whatever, this effect diminishes.

Is this right?