Hi Ron, I agree with you about me, a new graduate, being the only OT. When I interviewed for the job I expressed this concern,(and this was before I knew about the superivising part!) and they told me they had three OT PRNs that I would be able to work with. So far I haven't met or talked to any of them. How am I going to grow in knowledge and experience without someone to guide me? One of the COTAs is very experienced and I am learning from her, but of course I cannot learn eval techniques from her. The other COTA needs guidance, and while I have lots of ideas, I am not sure until I practise myself how good my ideas are.

Sue


Ron Carson wrote:


Hello Sue:

I  think  that Ruth Meyers' has the best suggestion but my interpretation of
the  regulation  is that you only need to meet face to face with the COTA to
review  client's  treatment.  It  doesn't  seem like you are required to see
actual  treatment.  Of course, there may be times when a visit is warranted,
such  as poor documentation by the COTA or an extremely difficult case. I am
sure  the  law  is  written  to  ensure  that  clients  are  getting treated
appropriately.

On  a  whole  different  topic.  In  my  opinion,  it certainly isn't what I
consider 'best practice' to have a new graduate OT being the only supervisor
of  two  COTAs.  New graduates require supervision themselves. (This comment
has NOTHING to do with you as an individual, it is a general statement about
all new grads)

Be  very careful with what you co-sign because it is your license that is on
the line and most importantly it's clients lives who are being affected.

Ron

=======================================================
On Sunday, January 25, 2004, @ 9:12 AM, you wrote:

SHML> Hi all,
SHML> I have recently graduated with an Masters in OT, and moved to SHML> Virginia.I am working at a private clinic with a big school-system SHML> practice. I am the only OT, with 2 COTAs whom I am expected to SHML> supervise. I have a question about supervision, since I have not SHML> experienced this situation before in my field work.


SHML> According to the state regulations:

SHML> The occupational therapist providing clinical supervision shall meet SHML> with the occupational therapy personnel to review and evaluate treatment
SHML> and progress of the individual patients at least once every fifth SHML> treatment session or 21 calendar days, whichever occurs first


SHML> Does this mean I have to observe the COTA's treatment of every one of SHML> their patients, or can I just meet with them and discuss each case? The
SHML> way they have been doing it is with a 'supervisory visit' for each SHML> client once a month, i.e. the OT accompanies them to each treatment SHML> session, but their case loads are so high that it takes 2 weeks out of
SHML> every month for me to visit with the COTA for each client. It would make
SHML> much more sense to me, and a better use of my time, if I can just get an
SHML> update from the COTA every 21 days.


SHML> Could anyone give me some guidelines? Thanks

SHML> Sue Hossack MOTR/L



SHML> Ron Carson wrote:



_______________________________________________
To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com

The OTnow Mail Archive: www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
===============================================








SHML> _______________________________________________
SHML> To unsubscribe, visit:
SHML> http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com

SHML> The OTnow Mail Archive: SHML> www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
SHML> ===============================================




_______________________________________________
To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com

The OTnow Mail Archive: www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
===============================================






_______________________________________________
To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com

The OTnow Mail Archive: www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
===============================================

Reply via email to