There's a legal term called standing.

        "The  legal  right  to  bring  a  lawsuit. As a general rule, only a
        person with something at stake has standing to bring a lawsuit."

As  I  understand  it,  "standing" means that a person has a legal basis for
brining  a  claim against another entity. I'm sure there's a lot more to the
term, but that's my basic understanding.

While  driving  the  other day, it dawned on me that in so many settings and
with so many people OT has little to no standing. I'm not talking in a legal
sense, instead in the sense of what our profession offers.

When  I think about my home health company, OT is such a non-entity. We have
so few OT compared to PT. OT can't open a case. OT very rarely stands alone.
OT  is rarely called upon as EXPERTS in anything, unless it's fine motor. OT
is  not  recognized by the majority of patients. OT is often not referred to
by the MD.

For  me,  the  bottom  line is that OT hardly even exists as a highly valued
profession.  In  fact,  I  was  thinking yesterday, what happens to the VAST
majority  of  home health patients not getting home health? How is it that I
"sell"  my services as invaluable, but most patients don't get the services?
The  obvious  answer  is  OT  services  are NOT invaluable and that patients
apparently do just fine when receiving PT only.

Again, just another missing piece of our confusing puzzle....

Ron

~~~
Ron Carson MHS, OT
www.OTnow.com