Oh  Chris,  I  sooooo value what I do, and I KNOW that other OT's value what
they  do.  But the PROBLEM, at least in my experience, is that almost no one
else TRULY values our contribution. Why?

----- Original Message -----
From: cmnahrw...@aol.com <cmnahrw...@aol.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 29, 2009
To:   OTlist@OTnow.com <OTlist@OTnow.com>
Subj: [OTlist] Standing

cac> "The  obvious  answer  is  OT  services  are NOT invaluable and that
cac> patients
cac> apparently do just fine when receiving PT only."

cac> Hmmm.....I wonder why there is such a continued prevelance of falls at
cac> home and readmits into hospitals, because people have not been able to
cac> take care of themselves and therefore leading to a downward spiral a)
cac> can't get out of bed or do not have the motivation or a reason to get
cac> out of bed b) stay in bed for long periods of time c) can't get to
cac> their medications

cac> We are much more than a profession of arm movers, but a profession that
cac> values the patient's well being, and helps by giving people hope that
cac> they can continue to live a life of purpose and meaning

cac> We can add so much more than.the popular main stream therapies, if we
cac> only cared about the lives of our patients.  If we only cracked open
cac> the book, beyond the surface of each patient in which we encounter to
cac> determine how we could potentially help them in a real way.

cac> Sorry about all of philosophy, but that comment struck a nerve.

cac> Chris

cac> -----Original Message-----
cac> From: Ron Carson <rdcar...@otnow.com>
cac> To: OTlist <OTlist@OTnow.com>
cac> Sent: Sat, Aug 29, 2009 5:09 am
cac> Subject: [OTlist] Standing

cac> There's a legal term called standing.

cac>          "The  legal  right  to  bring  a  lawsuit. As a general rule,
cac> only a
cac>         person with something at stake has standing to bring a lawsuit."

cac> As  I  understand  it,  "standing" means that a person has a legal
cac> basis for
cac> brining  a  claim against another entity. I'm sure there's a lot more
cac> to the
cac> term, but that's my basic understanding.

cac> While  driving  the  other day, it dawned on me that in so many
cac> settings and
cac> with so many people OT has little to no standing. I'm not talking in a
cac> legal
cac> sense, instead in the sense of what our profession offers.

cac> When  I think about my home health company, OT is such a non-entity. We
cac> have
cac> so few OT compared to PT. OT can't open a case. OT very rarely stands
cac> alone.
cac> OT  is rarely called upon as EXPERTS in anything, unless it's fine
cac> motor. OT
cac> is  not  recognized by the majority of patients. OT is often not
cac> referred to
cac> by the MD.

cac> For  me,  the  bottom  line is that OT hardly even exists as a highly
cac> valued
cac> profession.  In  fact,  I  was  thinking yesterday, what happens to the
cac> VAST
cac> majority  of  home health patients not getting home health? How is it
cac> that I
cac> "sell"  my services as invaluable, but most patients don't get the
cac> services?
cac> The  obvious  answer  is  OT  services  are NOT invaluable and that
cac> patients
cac> apparently do just fine when receiving PT only.

cac> Again, just another missing piece of our confusing puzzle....

cac> Ron

cac> ~~~
cac> Ron Carson MHS, OT
cac> www.OTnow.com