Unfortunately without any other error flag! That's why I
implemented a way to accept a temperature of 85.0 only, if the previously
read temp was in that range (82-88), otherwise I just skip this reading and
try once again.

This is exactly what owfs does and what leads to this error.

Currently I'm in favor of throwing all that 85°C "fixup" code out of
owfs completely. If there's an error in your electrical setup, you have
to fix it there, not by throwing more and more software workarounds at it.
*LIKE*