Entity Framework was born out of many attempts to solve the DAL tier to
enable developers to have to avoid talking to DBA's directly. The amount of
churn its gone through and the level of pain it rewards doesn't seem imho
to justify its adoption.

As for forgotten child. I can't speak to the program management level but
when I was in the product management side of things we avoided that clump
of code as much as possible. It was too hard to build a narrative around
and even when we managed to wrangle the mess into a coherent strategy
they'd turn and flip the table over with "i have a better idea on how to
solve this pattern.." and sure as your google search for "CRUD
EntityFramework" the entire blogosphere would leave you in the corner,
confused and wondering aimlessly as if to say out loud "I trusted them,
they...they have cheated me for the last time".

I recently watched a Unity3D dev switch to using web-centric .net dev, and
he died a miserable painful death on Entity Framework code-first. To quote
"I went to use the migration strategy it left me a broken man, it just
doesn't work as its advertised".

Its time to put this and PRISM in the "GitHub" graveyard. Say out loud you
support it but block any future pull requests.

---
Regards,
Scott Barnes
http://www.riagenic.com