I agree that it's a call that you don't need if you are sure that the
object that you have now has not been updated by someone else.

However even if I was updating via an SQL Statement (SP or inline) then I
would do a select to get the updated line back from the database,
especially if it wasn't an update but rather an insert.
The problem is always how stale your data is, by forcing the update before
the insert you are sure that you have all the latest information before the
update.

Davy

*Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes*.