When I was doing my reseach to get into the birth centre at RWH Brisbane I found the VBAC policy document from the Canadian College of OBs and Gynes.  Their policy is the most comprehensive one produced by any of the Colleges including the American one.  Interestingly the Australian College have not produced one at all - I rang them up and asked them!!

Anyway on monitoring it states:

"One of the most consistent early signs of scah dehiscence and/or rupture is an abnormal fetal heart rate pattern.  Thus in cases of induction and/or augmentation, continuous electronic fetal heart rate monitoring is advised.  Intermittent fetal heart monitoring is to be reserved for cases in which neither induction nor augmentation with oxytocin is performed"

Therefore if you follow this guide it is not necessary to use ECG on the majority of VBAC women as the majority are not induced.  Therefore they should remain candidates for Birth Centres.  Interestingly here in Brisbane is a "normal" woman is induced with oxytocin she is also transferred out of the Birth Centre for monitoring - therefore there should be no difference between VBAC and non VBAC women in their management.  To see the full policy to to:

http://www.rcp.gov.bc.ca/Guidelines/Obstetrics/Master%5B1%5D.OB8.VBAC.May2000.pdf

Debby

>From: Carolyn Donaghey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] vbac
>Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 21:02:38 +0930
>

>Hi Veronica
>Wow, you seem to have your work cut out for you. I will give you
>some good information to back up the validity and the antiquity of
>the term VBAC.
>
>Refer to the book Silent Knife: Cesarean Prevention and Vaginal
>Birth after Cesarean (1983) Nancy Wainer Cohen & Lois J Estner New
>York. This book is a must in the library of any midwife supporting
>vbac women.
>"In the 1970s, more studies substaintiated the safety of VBAC; yet
>women were still being sectioned more than 99percent of the time.
>Still, the winds of change were blowing. In 1974, Nancy coined the
>term "VBAC" and by 1975 she was hearing the acronym being used all
>over the country and was seeing it in medical articles as well. "
>page 94 Silent Knife
>
>The book is getting quite old now, but most of what is written still
>holds true today, and it is a confronting and challenging book to
>give food for thought.
>
>Congratulations Veronica on being informed and up-to-date with the
>last 3 plus decades ;-) .
>Carolyn
>PS I was under the impression that a woman who had never experienced
>pushing stage, would indeed push just like a first time mother.
>Certainly was the case for my vbac, took me ages to work out that oh
>this was pushing not more posterior labour DERR!
>Veronica Herbert wrote:
>
>>Dear all,
>>

>>Once again I had to "explain" and defend the use of the word VBAC.
>>The response I got today was "Well I'm not going to change what I
>>say!" When I said the term had been around since the late 70's
>>(somebody said that on here so I hope it's right lol) they said
>>they had never heard of it. Well they have now!!! I went home on my
>>tea break and printed off copies of the paper that Carolyn (hope
>>you don't mind Carolyn) wrote and I placed a copy in the postnatal
>>ward, labour ward, special care nursery, and the tea room.
>>
>>Another thing, we had a woman who was trying to have a VBAC today
>>and the Registrar that was on said she was only allowed to push for
>>20 minutes and then she was to have a vaccuum extraction, if she
>>hadn't pushed it out. Now I'm no expert on VBAC's but I thought
>>that that was a little unfair, since in her last labour she had
>>only got to 4cm dilated, and she had never been through second
>>stage. Any thoughts?/? By the way, she got to about 5cms and was in
>>good established labour managing well, had a V.E (was quite
>>disappointed that she was "Half way"), had pethidine, contractions
>>eased off and she went for a C/S!
>>

>>from Veronica Herbert
>>
>>(Midwifery Student, University of Ballarat)

-- This mailing list is sponsored by ACE Graphics. Visit to subscribe or unsubscribe.