If it was me who triggered your responses – I don’t have a problem with anyone who choses to have an abortion for whatever reason and I live my life trying not to judge anyone or anyone’s choices.

I was just trying to imagine how I would feel if I was a sick child who read an article about how a test is available, which wasn’t there at the time I was born. I’m sure I’d be thinking about how miserable my parents actually are because of me, since some would take the test and have an abortion because of a child just like myself and would wonder whether my mom would have had an abortion with me had she lived in a time when a test was available. But this is just me and my thoughts.

On the other side, I’m also aware that caring for a sick child usually means giving your life as it was away, that it requires a huge commitment as you said and that it’s not something anyone would wish for, either for him/herself, or for a child.

Vedrana

From: owner-ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au [mailto:owner-ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au] On Behalf Of Susan Cudlipp
Sent: Friday, December 02, 2005 12:57 PM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] CF screening

I agree - please don't make judgements in the case of inherited disorders.  I too carry a faulty gene (not CF) which has affected all 3 of my children.  While I love them all dearly and do not regret their lives, I do know that I would NOT have chosen this path willingly.  I was not able to test for the first 2, did test for the 3rd, but was informed (wrongly as it turns out) that females are not affected.

Knowing several families with CF and the battles they face both in testing issues and in raising affected children I could not judge anyone who did not feel that they wanted to continue with a pregnancy if the child were to have a serious problem.

It is true that all lives are meaningful and that all children should be valued, sadly society still has a very long way to go before that ideal is commonplace practice.  I have met with much ignorance and discrimination regarding my kids, their lives are compromised, they will always require care.

They have taught me much and have touched many lives, those who take the time to know them value them deeply, however, not everyone does.  I have met many angels and many ogres!

Raising such children takes a huge commitment physically, emotionally and financially, and you fight battles every day to make their world a better place.

I have often cared for women who have chosen to terminate a child with a genetic fault, as part of my job, and I pride myself on giving them the best care I can, without judgement on their decision.  I figure they have had a hard enough time coming to that place without that.  I have also had the great joy of caring for women who have chosen to continue regardless.  With all of these I share some of my own experience so that they will know that others have found themselves in similar circumstances.

There is no 'right' or 'wrong' answer in such situations.  People have to come to their own choice according to their own circumstances, beliefs and consciences, then they have to find peace with that choice,  either way it is not easy.

Sue

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke