I also was surprised at the outcomes of the study. One of the great benefits of being a community midwife is the opportunity for women to debrief over a period of time.  Usually from day 2-28, a little at a time.  Even with a “normal” seemingly non-traumatic birth, women need to talk it through.MM

From: owner-ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au [mailto:owner-ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au] On Behalf Of Nicole Carver
Sent: Saturday, 4 February 2006 3:42 PM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] Post cs support

HI Mary,

I remember reading about that research and being surprised. I have discussed it with the psych nurse employed where I work, who spends time nearly every day with women who have experienced traumatic births (or perceived them to be even when we might not have called them such). She feels it does help. Even one visit can help women who want to understand what happened to them and why. Some require much more, and thankfully our maternity support workers are great with these women. However, it is a tragedy that we need to have these workers. They do also work with antenatal and postnatal depression.

I can't remember the specifics, but I don't recall being particularly impressed with the methodology of the study that you mention. And if women want to talk about their experience they should be able to, whether it is formal debriefing or whatever. I suppose you don't want to treat all women the same, ie what is appropriate debriefing for one woman, would not necessarily work for another. If you did try to treat them the same it would not be surprising if it did not work.

Nicole Carver.