I agree completely Jo. I have been reading this whole thread and feel really
frustrated. So many things have gone through my head about what to write, but I
feel so disheartened at the moment by all the horror stories I have been
reading and hearing.

One thing I find so frustrating is the whole being 'allowed' to do this and the
hospital 'letting' the woman do that. It's like we're on detention at school
and we're the naughty girls that don't know anything. Surely, if as much time
and effort went into building up women's confidence in themselves and their
ability to birth and know their bodies, as goes into 'policy' and 'protocol'
writing, then there would not be a need for this conversation.

I think we, as women, need to take back the power and start saying, "we are
'allowing' you to do this to MY body, I am 'letting' you do that to my baby, I
will decide when the time is right for any procedure"

I so admire women like Amy that do take back the power, for women only lose it
because hey give it away.

On that note,  Amy, you wrote, "I felt like I
lost her support when I took the reigns and bucked against hospital
protocol.  It was like I had offended her...that she felt compromised by me
asserting myself." ~ but I think the reality is that you never had her support
and she shouldn't have been offended as SHE was the one causing the offence
against you. She was comprimising you, your baby and your birth by not
listening and supporting you, you being the true expert.

When women take back their power and 'care providers' realise that they are not
the true experts, then that will be the time when birth becomes more empowered,
safer and peaceful with a lot less serious and endangering outcomes.

Love Abby