From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Andrea Bilcliff
Sent: Friday, 22 September 2006 4:33 PM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Conflict

I'm not as articulate as many on this list but I just wanted to say that conflict is really, really draining. This is not directed at anyone in particular (or just limited to participants of this list) but it's something that I'm noticing more and more in the 'birthing world'.

No wonder we as birth advocates burn out so easily. It is hard and tiring enough 'out there' without us fighting each other. We need to be far more supportive of each other - women, employed midwives, independent midwives, birth attendants, students, educators, etc. As a midwifery student I couldn't believe that a profession that claimed to be 'with woman' could also be so 'against woman' (each other).

I have enormous respect for the midwives who work in hospitals; those who battle 'the system' (whether it be private or public) on a daily basis, trying to do the best they can for women in the most difficult of circumstances.

I respect too the wonderful women who set up internet websites and discussion forums (be they considered mainstream or alternative) in an attempt to further educate and support birthing women.

And everyone else who are doing the best they can with the time and resources they have.

Maybe I'm being too simplistic but aren't we all working for the same thing? I'm sure if we were just a little kinder and more supportive of each other we could achieve great things together - women united and strong!

Yours tired,

Andrea Bilcliff
(Independent Midwife)