Dear all,

I am having trouble building Paraview 5.2.0 (This version or older is required for a separate plug-in). Other installations of paraview (not compiled from source) work fine.

I run Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I check out the paraview 5.2.0 release and installed Qt5.6.3 (also tried 5.6 and 5.7 because I had trouble with Qt during the paraview build earlier) in a separate directory. I have my (empty) build directory paraview_bin and paraview 5.2.0 source in /home/user/software/paraview_bin and /home/user/software/paraview respectively.

- export PATH=/opt/Qt/5.6.3/gcc_64/:$PATH

- ccmake -D PARAVIEW_QT_VERSION:STRING=5 /path/to/paraview

- BUILD_TESTING --> OFF

- generation and make completes

The build works fine, but when I try to execute I get a protobuf error

user:~/software/paraview_bin$ ./bin/paraview
libprotobuf FATAL
/home/user/software/paraview/ThirdParty/protobuf/vtkprotobuf/src/google/protobuf/stubs/common.cc:62]
This program requires version 2.6.0 of the Protocol Buffer runtime library, but
the installed version is 2.3.0.
Please update your library.
If you compiled the program yourself, make sure that your headers are from the
same version of Protocol Buffers as your link-time library.
(Version verification failed in
"/build/mir-O8_xaj/mir-0.26.3+16.04.20170605/obj-x86_64-linux-gnu/src/protobuf/mir_protobuf.pb.cc".)
Aborted

although my protoc version seems fine

user:~/software/paraview_bin$ protoc --version
libprotoc 2.6.1

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling protoc and libprotobuf as well as reinstalling Qt afterwards, but can not figure out this error.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch,

Dan