Cde Serame Mokgakala

Last Saturday evening I listened to a jazz programme on SAfm dedicated to the
memory of Ezra Ngcukana.  They also played one of his powerful compositions
titled "We Will Win".  These are your words in reference to the internal PAC
struggles for change.   As you would know, high creativity and art is
inspirational - and I was not immune to this infectious spell from the great
artistry of Bra Ezra.  He is little known in local jazz media promotions,
however ardent followers of avant garde idiom of jazz hold him in high esteem.
Those who suppress the promotion of his products, do so on the basis that he
has unflinchingly flown the flag of Pan Africanists, and they prefer the status
qou.  Cultural imperialism is one of the tools to control colonial subjects and
convert them them into willing participants in the nefarious scheme of human
inequality where African in particular are regarded as inferior.  They say
Africans have not contributed to the civilisation of the modern world.  Those
of us who refute these reactionary positions are sidelined by the established
order.

Ezra used his music to spread the ideas of Pan Africanism.  In fact the
Brothers Ncgukana have contributed immensely, through their various skills, to
the awakening and sustenance of the PAC politics in South Africa.  I remember
one of the brothers - who lived in Pimville and was a copywriter for a
advertising agency - briefed the PAC leadership in early 1992 about media
strategies to advance the Party in the eyes and minds of the masses.  He coined
the statement "The African People Deserve Better".  This proposal was supposed
to be a theme for the PAC to run its programmes throughout the negotiations
phase and the first general elections.   Sadly we did not, and the programme
advised and promoted by the US State Department to the ANC leadership under the
theme "We Have a Plan" took over the imagination of the  people.  "We Have a
Plan" was also Bill Clinton's electoral campaign theme in 1992.  The DA used
"South Africa Deserves Better" in their 2004 election campaign.  Ifa le
zithutha lidliwa a ba hlakanephileyo - so said Letta Mbulu in her popular song
"Not Yet Uhuru".   Bra Ezra composed the tune "Sobukwe" in the album "You Think
You Know Me", which was produced in 1984.  Fitzroy Ngcukana has always  rallied
the arts community to work with the PAC's broad structures.  The
counter-revolutionaries inside the Party often sabotage these attempts -
however, we will also say victory is certain on the cultural front.

The struggle has many disciplines and it is up to the leadership to harness
them into one.  The collective leadership vision must act like what one of my
Charterist friends (who is one of the top leaders) described Uncle Zeph, in a
conversation he held with me on the quality of leaders:  "Mothopeng's
leadership style was like that of a conductor in a philharmonic orchestra.
Different sounds and qualities of contributions to the same song, by different
artists using various instruments, in unison at times and solos in some
instances, but all focused on the instructions and cues of the instructor."
That is leadership in symbolic terms.  Uncle Zeph mastered his music.

We Will Win was used as a catchphrase of the Vietnamese in their struggle
against imperialism, and to keep up the spirits of the fighting forces in their
war against the US and the French armies until final victory in the mid
seventies.  The Vietnamese revolutionaries distributed a poster showing a
photograph with a slightly built Vietnamese woman leading a captured American
soldier who was big and strong and at the bottom simply stated in bold: "We
Will Win". The leaders of the revolution in Vietnam believed in their cause,
and they had the courage of their convictions.  They aligned their vanguard
movement with the wishes and aspirations of the people.  Ho Chi Minh was on the
ground doing mass work during the war.  When they took over, the masses already
knew him as the old man who gave sound advice and participated with them in
their daily struggles.  He refused to step into the shoes of the overthrown
authorities when he was president of a liberated Vietnam, and symbolically
chose to live in a humble and modest home rather than the mansions of the
French colonialists.  That is why I don't understand why anyone in their right
mind would see progress in the unity of Cecil Rhodes and Nelson Mandela forming
a foundation to symbolically drive the new changes in Africa.  Cecil Rhodes
said natives are intrinsically indolent and stupid.

Cecil Rhodes was an arch imperialist. The Grahamstown Festival of the Arts held
every year in July at Rhodes university has smuggled itself to the fore as a
national festival to celebrate the emergence of a new nation in South Africa.
In actual fact, it is a continuation of the Festival to celebrate the 1820
Settlers who set up Grahamstown as a launch pad to take over Africa
economically, spiritually and intellectually.  The Standard Bank, with its
British background, is the sole financial supporter of this shameful colonial
programme.  In fact, South Africa does not have a truly national festival to
appreciate its own African arts programmes.  Oppikoppi Festival is a modernised
version of Afrikaner cultural celebration.  There are various attempts to
gather the different national groups, a la homeland-style, to exposed their
'diverse' dances, languages and music.  This is what the PAC in its Basic
Documents calls apartheid multiplied and another way to keep white domination
in place but without frills and trappings.  Discussions over the National
Question are always side stepped and completely avoided by the authorities.  It
is as if the country is living a lie.  It does not know itself and cannot
reflect itself truly through a national culture.

I am writing this note to say to you that we must all draw inspiration from
those we regard as our patriotic heroes.  Including the unknown personalities
we live with, who are not covered by the popular media.  Ezra Ngcukana died
last week.  He is certainly one of my national patriotic heroes.  He was not
honoured by the state during his lifetime.  His contributions to a cultural
heritage are immense.  I go along with him (and yourself) that We Will Win.

Izwe lethu iAfrika.

Jaki Seroke