I think it may be her tape machine that is in question. we don't know what kind of
noise reduction it has, whether the bias setting are set propperly and so forth. she
may be using the wrong tape type, it could be a lot of things. if she had a dbx unit,
that might fix every thing, but I don't know where or if you could still get one.

-- "mimi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
You get that with older tapes which are signs of wear and tear.  Also, I
noticed the NLS machines have somewhat gone down in quality.  I don't mean
to denigrate our fine program, it's great, and all, but I also notice there
is loud enough tape hiss on some of the books, and I wrote NLS about it
once, and they blamed ME and my equipment.  No, I know it was not, and was a
little hurt.  I've been handling tapes for a long time, and I know.  I
noticed some NLS books are distorted on some sides, like they had the master
turned up a bit loud.  I have heard sometimes, some noise in the background,
like a fridge going or the hiss of what sounds to me like central heating
and air conditioning.  Other times, I notice they took pains to reduce the
noise and clean up the audio.  So not every single book is sloppy.  As tapes
age, though and many hands have handled them, I noticed they lose their
highs and develop wrinkles which you can hear as the wrinkled spots pass
over the head.  Someone else told me the more they put on a tape at the
slowest possible speed, the more the quality deteriorates.  I don't know if
this is the case in every case.  I can hear a bad tape easily.  I used to
copy from tape to tape.  Now, since I learned to use an encoding program, I
bypass that step and encode books right onto my hard drive to transfer onto
a CD.  I have an ongoing series of talking book CD's, all mp3's.
Eventually, NLS will have to switch to digital format, as cassettes are
already on the way out.  I can even see it myself, having watched cassettes
give way to blank CD's and miniddisc, and digital blanks.  I don't even see
cassettes cases being sold anymore at Wal-mart.  It's clear enough to me.
Well, another thing I forgot to say is I never went for the cheapest tapes.
I stayed with Maxell over the years, or TDK.  No Nemerex.  I avoid that
brand in blank CD's.
(I might be misspelling that one.)
Good luck. TDK is a good brand.  It may be the library tape.  It's old and a
bit worn.

Mimi