I used to have an A P H machine, but have not had one in years.  I never had
crosstalk on them.  I don't have it in my NLS machine.  I'm thinking of
buying myself a Narrator player because when I plug in the NLS machine to
charge, if you are encoding during the charging, you will hear a hum.  I
don't really like to do that, so I encode other things while the charging is
going on.

The 2-track machines A P H used to sell were real good.  I missed them when
they got phased out.  I had mine a long time, but I think I had to let it go
in the 1980's.  Overall, recorders were better made and made to last.  NOt
like now.  I think the heads stayed aligned longer, too.  But, that's my
personal observations.  Anybody want to chaallenge that?

I started using patch cords when I had the older 2-track machine.  What a
difference that made!

When I used to have a Gulbransen organ, I could not record the tremolo
effects with a patch cord; it would cut out when a cord was plugged in, so
had to use open mikes.  That was bad, because unknown to me, I used to pick
up the grandfather's clock in the background chiming every fifteen minutes
as the organ was in the dining room of my parents' home at that time.

Now, I have an Elka E49 superspinet, and I can record tremolo with a direct
patch on it.  I can also play back through its speakers if I wanted to,
maybe even patch myself twice direct, though I never tried it yet this way.
It might be an interesting thing to try on a future recording, doubling up
on myself.  It would sound like a giant theater organ, I think.  I'll have
to give it a try.

I'm thinking of making some new songs and arrangements and digitizing them
into a whole new album.

I apologize for going off in another audio direction.  But it is fun trying
different things and hearing the effects.  If they are not good enough, I
simply won't release it anywhere.

Another thing before I totally forget is when I lived in Nevada, their NLS
players don't last as long, and it seemed I had to get another one every
three months.  I went through NLS players like you would not believe.  In
California, they last longer, and I've just replaced it once.  All I can say
is we have a repair department on the ball here.  Some libraries have better
repair people than others.

And for some of you who remember, we used to have crosstalk on 8-track tapes
a lot.  Bleedovers from other tracks.  There was nothing much you could do
about that.  It was not such a good technology; tapes broke too often, and
you had to buy another copy or if you could fix it, break it open and find
the break on the single reel and splice it.  I think tape hiss was evident
on those, too.  They were a pain.  So, I'm an old hand with this stuff.
Once, just for fun, I took the reel from an 8-track and threaded it onto a
reel to reel machine and discovered their speed was 3-3/4 ips.  That's
right!  I don't even remember what tape that was, but I thought I would play
with it and find out what speed it was on. (Smile)

Mimi