Terri,

You can buy a demagnetizer from a store such as Radio Shack.  You need to
be sure that you know where the tape heads on your machine are located.
Some demagnetizers have a rubber-tipped object that is run lightly over
the tape head with a horizontal motion.  The rubber tip is essential
because you do not want to rub the metal tape head with something metal
as it will scratch and damage the tape head.  If you have doubts about
doing this process, you may want to ask the Radio Shack personnel if they
will demagnetize them for you.  It will only take a couple of minutes.
Ask about any charges before doing this so you don't gett ripped off.

To clean tape heads and rollers, you can use an expensive tape cleaner,
or you could get denatured alcohol to do the job.  The denatured alcohol
is much cheaper.  Be sure you do not use the green-colored alcohol as it
contains other additives that might not be good for cleaning.  Use a q
tip and not a cotton ball for cleaning.  I hope this helps.
Tim