Dane,

Your analysis of the FLAC format omits the lack of support on Apple
mobile devices. The iPhone and iPad and their iOS operating system
stands as the most coveted and popular consumer technology in the
world. Yet, FLAC files cannot be played on these devices or Apple’s
media player, iTunes. With each passing year and no FLAC support,
Apple incrementally loses its cool ratio. Some suggest streaming
music, such as Pandora, TuneIn Radio, Slacker Radio, and iTunes Radio
along with Apple’s Music Match, as alternatives to loading music files
to the phone. Unfortunately, streaming music is not available on
subways, planes and in big buildings as well in lightly populated
areas with no cellular service. I want music on my device for the
times when I want music, which includes the times with no data
service.

Currently, the MP3 format still represents the means to provide
relatively high quality audio content for the widest range of devices,
particularly mobile ones.  I recently ripped all my CD’s to 256k MP3
so they could play on my iPhone. I love FLAC files and have many jazz
recordings carefully ripped to FLAC for listening on a high fidelity
audio system at home. Most of my album listening is away from home
though so MP3 is the format of choice until Apple supports FLAC. I
fear this may be a long time, as only audiophiles seem to care about
it.

Kelly