On Thu, 14 Dec 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

In a first step towards making Pd a micro-language,

I'd like to distinguish between micro-language and micro-environment. Pd is already a micro-language in the sense that it has a micro-syntax: a syntax that is very simple, and that anything that may look like additional syntax in pd, is built in terms of that micro-syntax. (Other languages that have micro-syntax are the Forth family, the Lisp family, and Tcl.)

Pd isn't a micro-environment because there's a lot of things present at runtime that aren't needed, but most of them aren't an obstacle for pd to be called a micro-language, because they fit in the handful of pd's syntactic/semantic rules.

I propose moving the IEM GUI objects that are embedded in Pd into the "extra" folder, compiled as individual files.

What's the advantage of doing that?