As it turns out, the problem was on my end. My image editor was saving in
png mode, so presumably pdcurses SDL was ignoring the file since it
couldn't load it.

Also, I don't see this in the docs anywhere, but it took me a bit to
realize that the BMP needed to be 1 BPP. A number of image editors don't
have an option to save in this mode, and my results using a higher bit
depth BMP were odd (colors didn't work).

I suggest adding a note to the documentation about the BMP depth
requirement, and also suggest having the library give a message if it finds
a font file, but can't open it, or if it is the wrong bit depth.

Thanks for your help!

Karl