On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 3:09 PM, Karl Garrison <kgarri...@pobox.com> wrote:

> Also, I don't see this in the docs anywhere, but it took me a bit to realize
> that the BMP needed to be 1 BPP. ... I suggest adding a note to the
> documentation about the BMP depth requirement

Ahem...

"The font is a simple BMP, 32 characters wide by 8 characters tall,
preferably with a palette. (BMPs without palettes still work, but in
that case, no attributes will be available, nor will the cursor work.)
The first entry in the palette (usually black) is treated as the
background color; the last entry (usually white) is treated as the
foreground. These are changed or made transparent as appropriate; any
other colors in the palette are passed through unchanged. So -- although
a one-bit depth is sufficient for a normal font -- you could redraw some
characters as multi-colored tiles."

That's from doc/sdl.md (combined into PDCurses.md, if you build that).
It's been there since 2007.