But then you lose the auto-diaphragm, Arnold. You younger guys who never had to use SLRs without an auto-diaphragm don't know what that was like. To give you an idea, before auto-diaphragm became the standard SLRs were only used for specialized technical photography. Auto-diaphragm is the thing that made the SLR a general purpose camera.

Given the choice of auto-diaphragm or behind the lens metering I will take auto-diaphragm every time.

I notice very Van Gogh like attitude here on the list. If she doesn't love me, I will cut off my ear. Or, if I have to replace 1/2 my lenses, I will switch to Canon and replace all of them. But then serious Pentax users have always been crazy anyway.

Arnold Stark wrote:
Now this really is some consolation! So if I were to screw a new locking hole into the mount of a K or M lens so that the aperture levers of lens and *ist D disengage, I would have two modes of operation:

1.) Aperture priority mode with "real aperture metering".

2.) Manual mode: Hit the "green button" to meter (real aperture metering) and to automatically adjust the shutter speed.

Not too bad. If and only if one is ready to modify the lens's mount. Of course it would have been much much better if Pentax had not modified (crippled) the body's bayonet mount first.....

--
graywolf
http://graywolfphoto.com

"You might as well accept people as they are,
you are not going to be able to change them anyway."