Hi,

One thing to look for is if the camera has sat idle for a couple of days is
the aperture feedback resistor.  Turn the camera on and while looking
through the veiwfinder, change the aperture on the lens and watch the meter
display.  If the readings "jump" around, the resistor is dirty, and probably
not worth fixing.  This usually clears up with a few turns of the aperture
ring so on a happier note, if the camera is to be used daily, or if you
"excersise" the aperture ring before shooting, or plan to stay on "A" it's
not to big of a deal.  I have both a P3n (american P30n) and a P30t and they
both have this problem.  I've looked at a few other's that are used and they
seem to have the same problem.  I think it is common (design flaw) in this
series.

As you suspect, the camera does not support TTL flash, but you do get
programmed operation I know with the AF280t (don't set it for TTL) and the
AF160SA. Probably other Pentax flashes as well, you might check Boz's site.
Any other flash should work depending on the level of dedication it
supports, if nothing else the camera has a separte setting for flash sync
(1/100) and you can use the auto setting on the flash to determine aperture
or good old guide number.

The batteries seem to be available anywhere here in the States, you can also
use alkaline A76 or silver S76 batteries.

I think the A50/2 is rather mediocre from a build and handling standpoint
( Aperture and focus feel seem cheap) but optically it's pretty good.  It
would certainly be a good lens to start off with.

Hope this helps,

William in Utah.