Bill,
     We bought a 20 gig portable at work for a 'sneaker network' between a
stand alone system and our corporate network.  It works fine, but...
     With the latest laptops having DVD burners built in, I can't imagine why
you wouldn't do that first with your pictures.  The more you put in one
place, the more risk you have of losing it all at once.
     I'd burn CD's on a laptop if I were on a long vacation with a digital
camera.
Regards,  Bob S.