On 8/12/03, [EMAIL PROTECTED] disgorged:

>>     Here's a thought, instead of getting a portable HD which has moving
>> parts, get yourself an iPod.  20 GB will run you $400.  You can buy an
>> adapter that will read media cards (Belkin media card adapter runs
>> $100).  Now you have a portable musics system, are able to download
>> your pictures from CF cards, and from my understanding there are no
>> movable parts inside of these things.
>
>Apple would disagree with you.
>
>According to the main apple web site, the iPod contains either
>a 10, 20 or 40 gb hard drive.
>
>Think about it:  a 1 GB solid-state compact flash card costs $200 or
>so - a 2GB over twice that.  Is it really likely that apple can sell
>you an order of magnitude more solid-state memory for that price?

The iPod contains a hard drive, but can indeed be used to store images:

'Save a bundle on memory cards the next time you take your digital camera
with you on vacation. When your card is full, simply transfer the images
to your iPod via the handy Belkin Media Reader . The 40GB iPod holds
20,000 images (the equivalent of 160 256MB memory cards), the 20GB iPod
holds 10,000 (80 cards) and the 10GB model holds 5,000 (40 cards). '

<http://www.apple.com/ipod/>

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__