I, for one, think that's an excellent compromise.

I actually couldn't understand those who said that doing the critiques seemed
"too much like homework".  If so, take your name off the list of
commentators.  Why use that as a reason to shut down the whole idea?

My guess is that most of those who have commented to date will continue to do
so, and that most who contribute images to PUG will request comments.  I know
that I intend to be in both camps, assuming that you get enough support for
your new idea.  I find personal value in both commenting, and being commented
upon.

Seems to me that no one gets hurt this way.  Thin skin?  Only want to submit a
family snapshot that you don't want commented upon?  That works.  Want
criticism?  That works too.

I like it Chris.  Count me in.

regards,
frank