Comments below

> fra: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> In a message dated 1/24/2005 2:58:23 PM Pacific Standard Time, [EMAIL
> PROTECTED]
> writes:
> And I do agree that it is confusing that I sometimes switch from my
> perspective to the opponents.  To simplify things:  To me, a photograph
> is always a lie, since it always represents the photographers personal
> representation of something.
>
> DagT
> ========
> Just to confuse things... Your above statement implies that there is some
> objective truth. Something concrete "out there" that is true. And that
> subjectivity, by its very nature, because it is one person's viewpoint, is a
> lie. I
> believe, however, that there is no objectivity --no separate universal truth.
>
> What exists or doesn't exist or appears to exist "out there" must always be
> filtered through our own lens; passed through our own subjectivity. We cannot
> ever truly stand outside ourselves, outside our own heads, outside our own
> world view. If there is a universal concrete truth (which I do not believe),
> we
> cannot actually perceive untainted. We always perceive it through our own
> subjective experience.
>
> Whew. Probably not clear. (And I think I am losing myself in my own argument.
> :-))

:-)

I agree with most of what you say.  As a physicist part of the job is to
describe the part of the world that cannot be interpreted by our senses.  We
never really know how good the description is, except that the predictions we
make based on these description get more accurate, so we think we are on to
something.

> OTOH, I think photojournalism as used in reporting, is a tricky area and
> anything that manipulates an image to present something that was not
> *apparently*
> there in the first place, could well be a "lie." In that case, the
> photography
> should admit any manipulation.

The problem is, of course, that the thing you add or remove could have been
removed by the photographer by simply changing position, or timing.

But, I was a bit short last night and ended up with a very wide defintion of
lies.  This is what I ment to write:
"To me, a photograph presented as the truth is always a lie, since it always