Hi Darryn,

My SMC A 50/1.7 also has a sticky aperture ring - not as sticky as yours sounds
though.  In comparison, my (what looks like older) SMC M 50/1.7 has no such problem.
I think it stems from the fact that the newer A series lenses have plasticky aperture
rings.  Unfortunately, the A70-210/4 and the A50/1.4 have plasticky aperture rings
too.  The A24/2.8 is pure magic - feels like a piece of "real" camera gear.

I was disappointed that the A50/1.4 had a plastic aperture ring.  I have fears that it
might become sticky with time like the A50/1.7.  Maybe I'll have to get an A50/1.2 to
have a "real" piece of camera gear and A series coatings at the same time.

Is the A50/1.4 really optically that much better than the M50/1.4?  I'm not sure if
I'd rather have a lens that feels better to use at the price of optical performance.

Yours sincerely,

Frank.

--
Francis Tang, Postgraduate Research Student, LFCS, Edinburgh.
Visiting: AG14, FB Mathematik, TU Darmstadt, Deutschland.