Fra: Bruce Dayton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sendt: 21. februar 2006 23:16
Til: Jens Bladt
Emne: Re: Question: Should I buy an ist D?

Hello Jens,

I'll go halfway with you.  I have paying customers all the time.
Using a Pentax *istD has not had a negative effect on that.  I have
shot about 20,000 frames of youth soccer and baseball.  Not to
mention lots of weddings and portraits, all for paying customers.

The previous photographer for the baseball was shooting Canon and did
not do as good a job, in fact, a rather poor job (not the camera's
fault).  Certainly timing is critical.  I only used AF in certain
situations and found that it generally delivered adequately.  I also
almost never machine gunned the shots so buffer was not a critical
issue.

I will say that the *istD is not the ideal sports camera, but it is
usable.  I shot all in raw and you get a full buffer after about 6
frames - then about 7-8 seconds per image before you can shoot again.
Remember that you can shoot after just 1 image is written out - you
don't have to wait for all of them to write out.  I suspect that you
need to be a better photographer to do a good job with the *istD than
you would with the Canon or Nikon mid-pro level bodies.

So, in a nutshell, if most/all of your shooting would be sports
oriented, then the *istD is not the ideal camera.  If you will be
doing lots of varied shooting and you are willing to hone your skills,
the *istD will perform just fine.

What would make the *istD a better camera?  Much bigger buffer and
much faster writing to card.

HTH,

Bruce

JB> That's very good. I agree with most of what you said.
JB> But I get more and more paying customers - they expect me to deliver!

JB> I know Rick wants photographs for the family album, from travelling with
his
JB> wife an son.
JB> The *ist D will suit him fine and will save him all the hazle (and
expence)
JB> of using film.
JB> Someone also asked about how the D would perform for shooting scaters
and
JB> similar stuff.
JB> My reply would have to be, that the D is not the best choise for this.
It
JB> just isn't.

JB> The D works fine for me - as long as I stick to postcards, studio
portraits,
JB> commercial adds and landscapes.
JB> If I was asked to document a ballgame - I'd simply have to say: Thank
you
JB> very much, but no thanks!
JB> Please ask someone with a fast camera. With fast AF and 8 FPS and
JB> "unlimited" buffer.
JB> You can make a blaming "movie" with a Canon DSLR, for crying out loud.
JB> I have to wait 37 secs for the next 5 shot boost featuring 2.5 FPS - of
JB> which probably very few will be in focus, because the AF can't cope!
JB> The D is a very nice camera. It is!. But it was never the first choise
of
JB> PJ's. Don't you wonder why?

JB> Regards
JB> Jens Bladt