Fra: John Coyle [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sendt: 22. februar 2006 08:00
Til: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Emne: Re: Question: Should I buy an ist D?

Hi Shel - responses interspersed
John Coyle
Brisbane, Australia
----- Original Message -----

From: "Shel Belinkoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>I don't see it that way, but then I'm not constantly fiddling around with
> the settings.
>
> Actually, if left on Auto, white balance never needs to be touched, and
> even if it's set to the "wrong" balance, it's a simple movement of a
> slider
> in ACR (and, I suppose, other RAW converters) to bring the WB where it
> needs to be.

Generally speaking, you are perfectly right - I do seldom take the WB off
auto.  I think I might have changed it a couple of times when I was getting
a colour cast in mixed lighting, to favour the dominant source.  Hong Kong
airport interiors was an example, with both tungsten, fluorescent and halide
lighting in shot!

> Metering is a personal thing, but, speaking for myself, I rarely change
> the
> metering mode, and will only use spot or center-weighted anyway.  While I
> can understand wanting to change the metering mode, it's hard for me, with
> my experience and shooting style, to understand why one would want to
> change it frequently.  How often do you change the metering mode, John,
> and
> under what circumstances?

I will vary between all three modes dependent upon my assessment of the
areas I want to place as mid-greys (or the colour wquivalent thereof!), just
as I will adjust the bracketing and/or exposure compensation, based on
experience or results obtained.

> BTW, if you've not spent some time ~using~ the DS/2, it's understandable
> that you'd think using the menu system to make those changes is time
> consuming or difficult.  Once the camera became familiar to me, making
> those changes was easy and quick.

I appreciate that that is true for you Shel - I would find it a pain to have
to go into the menu for something which may affect my ability to get the
shot that I want.  I have the three configuration sets set up the way that I
like it, and having to do more than switch between sets is not something I
feel I would like to do too often.

I guess the bottom line is that YMMV!