Adam,

You're right about the cold war and no defenses for the Pentagon.  It
probably still has a Russian nuke with it's address on it.  But other
things have changed.

My daughter goes to college in Washington, DC.
For a time after 9/11, new air defense batteries were visible around
the Pentagon.
Now, there are grassy berms hiding whatever might be on the other side. ;-)
(And if you doubt they are on the US Capital, just do a Google Map and
look at the ariel photos...funny how that roof is a featureless gray
blob.)

The problem with air defenses for the Pentagon is that it is along the
flight path into Regan National Airport, about 1 mile from touchdown.
Commercial jets landing there fly down the Potomac River right past
the Pentagon.  That's why they announce "no getting out of your seats"
for the first 30 minutes out of Regan or last 30 minutes into Regan.
I expect there is an air marshal licensed to use deadly force on most
flights.

Regards,  Bob S.