>> I don't agree, as anyone who was @ GFM in 2005 will attest. I had a large
>> size portfolio of digital captures (13"X19") all in JPEG. The response to
>> the images was satisfying to me. No one questioned the capture mode.

        It's not just the size that matters.  RAW gives the ability to
increase the effective dynamic range somewhat.  JPEG throws away a
tremendous amount of chroma (color) information in the shadows that can be
brought out with RAW.  I've got one shot in particular (full moon in a
twilight sky and silhouetted trees) that I had to apply a pretty nonlinear
curves to.  In the end, the moon wasn't blown out, the twilight was a deep
blue hue, and only the silhouetted trees were shadows.

        I'm not saying everyone should shoot RAW... for the shots most
people take and they way they will work on the images and/or print them
out, JPEG is fine.  I just don't want to have to remember to switch back
and forth or remember to set the white balance all the time so I just
leave it in RAW.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA                                       *
* Electrical Engineering                                                *