On Thu, 4 Jan 2007, Thibouille wrote:

> Not exactly ... the DS does support TTL with pre-A lens AFAIK but only
> with external flashes. the RTF will do PTTL or full output. The D can
> do TTL even with RTF flash and old M42 lens.
>
> Everuthinf from DL, DL2 etc and newer do NOT support TTL in ANY way. That's
> it.

        After playing with the TTL flash for awhile, it seems to work
pretty well on my -DS... enough so that I'll probably buy it from him so
he doesn't get screwed on shipping twice to return it.  I've had very good
luck with my Vivitar 285 and although it's very large, cumbersome, and
doesn't swivel, it does have another stop of power than this one.  With
TTL, I especially like the way the camera effectively works the way it
should WRT metering with pre-A lenses..... Set to 'M', set shutter to
1/180, set aperture as desired and fire... no half-accurate GB/AE-Lock
button metering kludge to deal with.

        As far as I've been able to tell, the TTL metering isn't dead-on
consistent.  With my K50/1.4, there's probably 1 stop difference between
the end exposure at f/2 vs. f/11 or so (larger apertures overexposing).
Probably due to the angle of light hitting the sensor and bouncing to the
TTL flash sensor?  Anyway, no less accurate than the Vivitar 285's
averaging on-flash sensor WRT shadowy subject against white walls, etc.

        So just to clarify... the -DS manual stating that P-TTL NOT
working with A (or pre-A?) is a typo?  An external P-TTL flash does indeed
work properly with A lenses or older?

Thanks,
-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA                                       *
* Electrical Engineering                                                *