No! No!
Do _not_ measure with a cheap volt meter!
Many cheap voltmeters are not very high ohmic.
As a result it will "load" the trigger voltage point of the flash,
reducing the measured voltage.
This is specifically true for the flashes with high voltage, they mostly
have a high impedance input circuit, resulting in a voltage on your
cheap voltmeter, much lower than the voltage that your camera will feel!

How ever many Pentax camera's can handle a high voltage. I have used 200
and 400V flashes on my Z-1 without problem. But when mounting the flash,
take care that the 400V is not making contact with the other connection
points, the monitor and the squelche contacts are maybe much more
vulnerable.

I did not test yet on my DS, maybe I better do not....

Jos