Finny thing, my old AF400T will still give flash ready signal in the
viewfinder of the K10D.  I suspect that the 280T will too.  Same
basic technology.

--
Best regards,
Bruce

Friday, March 2, 2007, 1:15:53 AM, you wrote:

>> From: "cbwaters" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> Date: 2007/03/02 Fri AM 12:17:43 GMT
>> To: "Pdml@pdml.net" <pdml@pdml.net>
>> Subject: older flashes with K10, Pentax's response
>>
>> After reading some posts a while back about the possibility of wrecking the
>> K10's flash circuit by using older flash units, I have been reluctant to
>> mount my 280T or 200T to the camera.
>> I looked at the new "digital ready" flashes online but I have really worn
>> thin the good graces of the Finance Mistress with the purchases of late.
>> The only remaining path was to ask Pentax if I could safely use my old
>> flashes.
>>
>> Here's their response:
>> "The K10D is not compatible with a TTL flash in automatic mode. The
>> recommended flashes are P-TTL types such as the AF360FGZ or the AF540FGZ.
>> The AF220T and AF280T flashes can definitely be used on the new K10D,
>> however it will only work in manual mode."
>>
>> Now you know.

mw> A pity that it is utter twaddle.  My assumtion from those
mw> statements is that the older flashes will not do the
mw> "automatically set shutter speed and give 'ready' indication in
mw> the viewfinder".  What Pentax calls "dedication".  If the body
mw> will trigger the flash in manual mode, then auto must work.  It
mw> requires the same trigger and makes its own decision as to when to
mw> quench.

mw> Email sent from www.virginmedia.com/email
mw> Virus-checked using McAfee(R) Software and scanned for spam