That may be a new thing happening. I haven't heard of it from my
friends in the local editorial photography organization as yet.

I can understand having RAW files for credentialing purposes, but not
for editorial submissions. Unless they always process them to JPEGs
on the RAW converters' default settings. It's easy to batch convert a
thousand RAW files at once these days if you don't want to set
parameters too carefully.