The New York Times considers itself above reproach.  I would think they
would no more stoop to covering their arse than admitting they were
wrong in the first place.  The fact that they've been caught with their
pants down around their ankles a number of cases not withstanding...

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On the few occassions I've shot for the NY Times, they've asked only for
> hi-res jpegs. I shot RAW, but they never requested the original files.
> However, none of these were for what you would call "hard news" stories.
> Paul
> From: Mark Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>> William Robb wrote:
>>

>>> The pro guys I deal with are mostly shooting jpg. The exceptions are
>>>
>> when
>>
>>> they feel the need for the extra WB control, although even then, they
>>>
>> aren't
>>
>>> doing much beyond using the default conversion to jpg.
>>>
>> Is this mostly in a studio environment? JPEG makes sens there because
>> lighting and exposure are controlled. All the wedding pros I know
>> personally shoot Raw because of the constantly changing lighting.
>>
>> And many PJ photographers are required by their employers to shoot Raw
>> now, so that they have a verifiable "original" in case allegations of
>> image manipulation come up. When Patrick Schneider spoke at the GFM
>> Camera Clinic (the late summer PJ event) in the midst of his image
>> alteration controversy a few years ago, he revealed that the Charlotte
>> Observer has *always* required its photographers to shoot Raw. The
>> paper keeps a permanent archive of all its photographers' Raw files
>> just in case questions about a photo's authenticity arise later. Given
>> the various scandals that have arisen since then, I'd be amazed if most
>> major papers didn't have very similar policies.
>>

>> --
>> PDML Pentax-Discuss Mail List
>> PDML@pdml.net

All dogs have four legs; my cat has four legs. Therefore, my cat is a dog.