Edgerton's shot of a bullet passing through an apple, while the apple itself is
balanced on the point of another bullet, is one of my favorites.  Not only is
the subject fascinating, but I also like the colors, the composition, and the
contrast, physically and symbolically, between the apple and the bullets.

I have also alway liked Joe Rosenthal's shot of the flag raising on Iwo Jima,
partly because of my Marine background.  I like it even more after reading
Bradley's "Flags of our Fathers,"  about the first flag raising, how the famous
shot came about, what happened to the men in the photo, and the story of the
battle itself.. It takes on more meaning -- and more power -- when it is
combined with the shot of the Firemen with the flag at ground zero after the WTC
disaster.  The similarities are quite  striking.
--
Daniel J. Matyola                  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Stanley, Powers & Matyola          mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]