On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 12:07 AM, Godfrey DiGiorgi <godd...@mac.com> wrote:

> On Dec 22, 2008, at 6:24 PM, Scott Loveless wrote:
>
>> On 12/22/08, Adam Maas <a...@mawz.ca> wrote:
>>>
>>> That takes some shopping, the 28/1.8 retails for almost as much as a
>>> 77LTD up here, and it's a dog (If you're talking the Canon rather than
>>> the much better and cheaper Sigma).
>>
>> I meant to say 31LTD, not 77.  Sorry about that.  Carrying on though,
>> a bargain condition EOS 1N, new 28/1.8 and new 85/1.8, all from KEH,
>> works out to $908.  The 31LTD from B&H is about $800.  So a little
>> more, but not too much.
>
> I compared them when I was shooting with Canon gear. The EF 28/1.8USM was
> one of my favorite lenses. At least on the 10D, it produced very sharp,
> contrasty photos and had nice imaging qualities. I paid $390 for it, new, in
> 2003.
>
> Like most Canon lenses, it was somewhat lacking in character, but I wouldn't
> call it a dog. The Sigma I tried was dung.

I've never tried it on a crop, but did on film during my fling with
the EOS 3. Soft wide open, not a lot of contrast, gets better when
stopped down but never gets great, and that's the general consensus on
the lens from everyone I know who has used it other than you. The
Sigma is variable but a good copy is a lot better performer than the
Canon.

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca