On Dec 22, 2008, at 9:14 PM, Adam Maas wrote:

I compared them when I was shooting with Canon gear. The EF 28/1.8USM was one of my favorite lenses. At least on the 10D, it produced very sharp, contrasty photos and had nice imaging qualities. I paid $390 for it, new, in
2003.

Like most Canon lenses, it was somewhat lacking in character, but I wouldn't
call it a dog. The Sigma I tried was dung.

I've never tried it on a crop, but did on film during my fling with
the EOS 3. Soft wide open, not a lot of contrast, gets better when
stopped down but never gets great, and that's the general consensus on
the lens from everyone I know who has used it other than you. The
Sigma is variable but a good copy is a lot better performer than the
Canon.

It's myths like this that I heard over and over again when I was looking for a lens around this focal length for the 10D in 2003. So I went to my dealer friend and borrowed the highly lauded EF 35/2, the EF 28/1.8 and the Sigma 28mm. I set up a standard contrast/resolution target and tested them all at all apertures, then shot several dozen triplets of different subject with them to evaluate imaging characteristics.

My results showed that the 35/2 was indeed the sharpest of the bunch but had horrible out of focus imaging. The Sigma's out of focus imaging was similarly awful and it had very poor sharpness until f/ 5.6. The Canon 28/1.8 wasn't quite as sharp as the 35mm f/2 wide open, but had good imaging and excellent sharpness even at f/2-2.8.

Since by that point I already didn't care a wit about 35mm format, I bought the Canon 28mm lens and made many many very satisfying photos with it. It became my most-used, standard lens on the 10D.

Godfrey