Without spending the big bucks, you might try a monopod - will help in panning at least. Adding a cheap tilt head http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/2375 and keeping it slightly less than snug will let you do some up & down motion.

Kenneth Waller
http://www.tinyurl.com/272u2f

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graydon" <o...@uniserve.com>
Subject: Re: Big Dumb Tripod

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:34:16PM -0400, Doug Franklin scripsit: