Why do I choose or stay with Pentax? Good question. Why indeed.

I suppose because I like the underdog.

I first used a Pentax (SP500) at art college. For those students without
their own cameras, there were half a dozen Zenits and a Spottie. We raced
for the Spottie, and I was that desperate NOT to have a Zenit, and the
single default Spottie was such a  must have, that I bagged it every
time, even though the film door latch was a short length of tape. It was
nice to use and didn't chew the film up at the end of the roll like the
Russian contraptions.

After college, I saved up and bought a Practica where I experimented with
a 135mm lens. Later, I got A Fujica ST605N which I loved, but it still
didn't have the quality or the kudos of something like a Pentax. I
aspired to a Pentax, and when I could, I finally achieved my prize: a
brand new Pentax MX. Cost for the body only was a few pennies over £80
from Techno Cameras just outside Thames TV in the Euston Road in London,
1980. I was working by now, and could afford such luxuries (NOT!).

The MX was a different league altogether from the Practica and the
Fujica. It was beautiful, small, elegant, tasteful. It was real quality.
I was delighted.

Brand-wise, I had considered Canon and Nikon. There was a lad at college
who dressed in plaid jackets (we all wore T-shirts and jeans) and had
grotty glasses and a permanent dribble at the corners of his mouth. He
raved about Nikons. That was enough to put me off for life.

Canon, to me, seemed even more mainstream. They were sponsoring the 1980
(soccer) World Cup (if memory serves) and I shied from them for that
reason. Canons and Nikons were everywhere. I hated following trends, it
was so 'uninspiring'.

Pentax, however, seemed sleek, just the right amount of 'not as popular,
yet proper quality'. For this reason I might have considered Minolta,
except that I had fond memories of the Spotmatic, plus the recently
introduced MX beckoned. The size of it! Even in my huge mits, it was just
a delight to use. I knew I would have one from the day I first saw one.
To actually own one I seem to recall, well, I guess my colleagues thought
I'd been on the mushrooms. Permanent smile.

That's really it. From then on, no other brand came close, with one
notable exception: Mamiya. As my career progressed, so did my pay, and
the medium format bug caught me. Along came an RB67 with waist-level
finder and standard lens (90 mil Sekor? I can't remember). The cost in
1981 was horrendous: over £400. I had 2 MXs and 3 or 4 lenses by now. A
few years later, the RB67 had gone, and a SMC 15mm f3.5 had joined the
troupe in it's place, along with a 400mm.

Over the years, lens came and went, including (sadly) the 15 mil, and the
second MX drifted off. At one point I was down to the first MX and a 50
and 28. Until about 5 years ago when the bug hit again. The rest, as they
say, is history.

So why Pentax? Niche quality. Personal history. Not following the flock,
going off on my own (if there's a few following me, well hey: that's,
ahhh, cool. Baby ;-)

Thanks for the thread. Nice one.

Cotty

PS - the original MX, purchased as body only, plus a SMC 28mm 2.8 lens,
are still with me to this day, both retired. The MX has never been
serviced, and everything works fine, top shutter speeds obviously adrift
a bit, otherwise perfect. They sit oin my desk as an always available
touchy-feely monument. Sad, eh!