On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 3:45 PM, Doug Franklin <jehosep...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> On 2010-08-02 14:47, Adam Maas wrote:
>
>> If you want a really distinctive sound though, nothing matches the
>> Bell 214's. They're a Huey on a serious case of steriods and sound
>> exactly like that, with a much deeper and slower version of the Huey's
>> classic whop-whop sound.
>
> I've probably never heard a 214's sound, but I always thought the UH-60 had
> a more distinctive note than the Snake, Cobra, or UH-1.
>
> --
> Thanks,
> DougF (KG4LMZ)

You've probably never heard a 214, there were never many 214's outside
of Iran. It was originally developed for the IIAF, but there were
around 70 civilian versions made, and there's only 27 flying today.
But you can hear them from miles away, nothing sounds like their huge,
slow turning rotors.

The UH-1 and its variants had a very distinct sound when introduced,
but people now associate it as the 'helicopter' sound due to the
extreme opoularity of the type. You'll often hear the UH-1 rotor sound
dubbed into movies for machines that sound nothing like a UH-1 in
reality.

-Adam